Friday, January 14, 2011

Trash to somewhat useful treasure

Everyone knows the saying that one person's trash is another's treasure.  Well, I feel like I've hit the jackpot!  Last summer my local library sent out an email to community organizations to tell them that they were purging their backdated magazines.  Everything had to go.  They listed all of their titles and said that if you wanted what they had you had to take it all.  So, you couldn't just say you wanted the 2008 Vogues, you had to take everything from 2002 to 2010 if that's what they had.

I responded with a short list of titles that I would be willing to take once they had fulfilled any requests from community groups.  I didn't hear anything for ages so I figured my request had just been binned or something.  Then, in about November, I got an email asking me to come pick up the 8 boxes of magazines that they had for me!!!! 

There's a load of Elle Decor in there somewhere too!
 If you've been following me for awhile you will know that I love to create Inspiration boards and books.  My initial plan was to use the magazines for that kind of thing, along with using the valuable info inside of them.  Obviously, I have far more than I know what to do with so now I'm thinking of all kinds of other fun crafts I can use this huge resource for.

This week my head has really been in the travel zone so I figured that's where I'd start...luggage tags for everyone!

I sort of made this up as I went along so I don't have the usual supplies photo for you.  But basically here's what you need:
  • inspirational images
  • travel quotes
  • regular paper
  • glue (optional)
  • access to a computer
  • access to a laminator and laminating sleeves
  • hole punch
  • ribbon or plastic ties
Steps
1) Use Google to find some fun travel quotes.

2) Gather some travel images from magazines or travel brochures. ( You could also just use wallpaper samples or scrap booking paper, anything you like)

3) On your computer use a word processing program to create business card size labels.  You don't have to use label paper, regular printer paper will do.  Each label should have enough info to identify your luggage as yours but not enough to give a stranger the inside track to your life.

Mine have my first initial, last name, originating city, and phone number, with my quote at the bottom.



If you're really not comfortable having any personal information on your bag, that's OK.  Just put the quote.  Having anything on your bag that's unique and identifiable will distinguish it from the rest, and that's the whole point here.

4) Cut out your images to the same size as your labels.  Put a little dab of glue on the back and affix to one of your labels just to stabilize the two together.



5)  Now make a sandwich inside your laminating sleeve (laminating paper/picture face down/label face up/laminating paper).  Make sure to leave at least 1/4 inch space all the way around each piece to ensure the plastic will seal itself.  Run it through the laminator.  (If you don't have access to a laminator try using sticky back mack tack paper and just stick everything together.)


6) Cut all the way around each tag staying at least 1/4 inch from all of the edges.


7) Punch a hole in one end and add a strong ribbon or plastic twist tie.


 

8) Attach it to your luggage and never worry about picking up the wrong bag again!  Or if the airline somehow manages to displace it, your info will safely identify it as yours...wherever it is~

Now, when my oh so unique black bag comes rolling onto the luggage carousel with all of the other black bags, I'll instantly know which one is mine!

 Happy Travels~

Make sure to leave a comment and let me know what you think!  I'll be posting at the linky parties through out the week so make sure to check out the Linky Party tab up top for more great ideas.


11 comments:

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

This is such a great idea! Also good for my blog scrapbooking bags, when I go to a scrapbook workshop or retreat, this would be a good way to mark my bags; a lot of scrapbook bags are black as well.

Kitty Deschanel said...

As a frequent traveler with extremely boring, cheap luggage, I must say that I'm loving this idea!

I'm stopping by to say CONGRATULATIONS! Your post has been nominated for a Best in Show award on my blog! Good luck :)

Brad and Rachel said...

I really like this idea! I am sending the link to my mom....she's going to LOVE it! She travels all the time and had tried stamping on her suitcase, but it wore off really quick...this will be a good option for them.

ArtfullyJune said...

Great idea. Good way to use pictures that inspire you.

Unknown said...

What a great idea & I love that you upcycled those magazines! Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty With It!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I love this! How fun and how simple.

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

I love eco-design. My aim is to have as little waste as possible, and your creative idea is helpful. Yet another step....

Thank you so much for your tutorial and your contribution to our DIY CRAFT TUTORIAL linky party.

We love featuring great articles like yours and appreciate people following the party 'rules' and linking back to us so we can all share in the fun.

Look forward to seeing you again next week!

AllieMakes! said...

You are a serious GENIUS! Awesome!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Sassy Sites! said...

What a cute idea! Now, I just need a trip to go on so I can use my new luggage tags! :) Thanks for linking it up at Sassy Sites for our Trash to Treasure Tuesday! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo!

Marni

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

tamra-great idea! my mom travels a bunch...i should make her some! {i don't get out of chicago that often}

for all the pages you don't want like ads and such...did you see those magazine bowls I featured last week?

god, you could make 100s for your etsy store!

Thanks for linking this up to Creative Juice last week...{hope to see you back...link up should open tonight once my monsters are in bed!}

<3
nicolette

Unknown said...

What a fun little project! I should do this with all the magazines I got laying around here! And, thanks for linking up at the oldies party last week. I am pinning this!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...