Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Inspiration Shot: Giant Pinecone

The biggest pine cone I've ever seen:


On my way to work every morning, I walk past a tree that drops these giant pinecones onto the ground, this is the biggest one yet.  Every day I envision using this to make a beautiful textured bangle but can't bring myself to break it apart.

Pine cones are so amazing.  Did you know that they close up all nice and tight when it's cold outside and open up like this when the sun comes out and heats them up?  I had no idea!  It's pretty neat what you can learn when you take the time to notice what's around you~

What would you do with this beauty??  Leave a comment with your ideas.

1 comment:

Keetara said...

I'm a wood turner using a lathe, but I also turn other materials such as resins and acrylics. So, I'd probably cast the pinecone in clear resin using a mold that is bigger than the cone. Then turn it into a candle stick or cut it into several slices and make bracelets out of them.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...