Friday, February 17, 2012

Pretty Beaded Pins

Here's a little weekend project for that night when someone else does all of your lovely household chores for you.  Letting you put your feet and your hair up so that you can head out enjoy a night on the town~

Today's project is super easy but hopefully will give you that little extra sparkle to make your evening out special.

Here's what you need:

Steps:
1) Using your wire cutters, cut a piece of wire around 8"-9" (20-23 cm).  This isn't exact because it depends on the length of your bobby pin and the size of beads that you're using.  A good estimate to use is about 3 times the length of your pin.


2) Wrap the end around the rounded end of the bobby pin a few times and squeeze it down with your straight nose pliers.  Make sure the wire isn't sticking towards the inside of the pin or it will catch on your hair.

3) Start adding your beads.  As you add beads wrap the wire around the pin, leaving the underside free of beads. 

Just keep adding and wrapping until you get to the bottom of your pin.


4) At the end just wrap the wire around itself 3 to 4 times and once again squeezing the end down with your fingers or straight nose pliers.

And that, my friends, is that!  So easy...but so pretty!




So easy, in fact, that I made another pair in one of my fav colour combo's...gold and pink!



And now I need to hear from you....my friend Gen has bet me that all my life I've been wearing my bobby pins upside down.  Which way to you wear your bobby pins?  Squiggly side up or down?  Leave a comment and let me know, I've got a box of bobby pins riding on this~

17 comments:

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

very nice tutorial ;) thanks for sharing!

Lindsay said...

Squiggly side up, but I recently read that they stay in place better if you wear them squiggly side down!

Chris said...

Squiggly side up, but I also read recently that this is incorrect. That the waves are meant to help the hair stay in place.

I haven't changed my usage tho!

http://pearspalette.etsy.com

Rachel said...

squiggly side down, better hold that way :)

Katie @ Made to be a Momma. said...

This is super super cute!!! Found your site through Bloggy Hop! Would love to have you follow me back! Would love fo ryou to share this project on my "Homemade By You" Link parties held on Wednesdays too!

Mindy said...

I've definitely been wearing mine with the flat side against my head and the squiggly side up! You are pulling away from me all that I've held sacred! (well...not really, but I never really thought of doing it the other way...)

Unknown said...

I have always worn mine squiggly side up. They hurt my head the other way.:)

Paint Me Plaid said...

Love these bobby pins. I will definitely make this.

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

What a cute idea. I would have never thought to add the wire and beads, but it totally dresses it up. I am a new Pinterest follower visiting from Making the World Cuter. Vicky from Mess For Less

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

these are wonderful! thank you so much for sharing! i am so sorry i have been away for a bit -- i have a LOT of blog catch-up to day!!!! : ) (hugs)

Shell said...

This is so cute. I have a whole bunch of bobby pins I can lovely up.

Jill said...

Very pretty! Thanks for the tutorial!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

These are so cute! I wear my bobby pins both ways, but mostly with the bumpy side up. I only recently heard that they are made to wear bumpy side down. I figure that both ways work :)

Agy said...

Very pretty, and a lovely tutorial too!

valentinegirl said...

Bumpy side out. I did not ever think to try any other way!

liliana said...

molto belle complimenti lili

Sarah said...

What thickness of wire do you use? Love the idea. I used 0.3mm craft wire, which is equivalent to about 28 or 29 guage, but wonder if this is too fine a wire, would thicker wire work better and stay in place longer?

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...